Pages

Saturday, April 22, 2017

Saturday On Set: Mildred Pierce's Home





I am a huge Joan Crawford fan - - unapologetically so - - and while I love all her films for different reasons, Mildred Pierce ranks right up there in my book.

Something I never picked up in watching the film (repeatedly) myself is that while the Glendale home shown in the exterior is a one story (see above), the interior sets show a lovely staircase leading to the upper floor bedrooms.  The wrought iron railing is to die for.


Note that the sofa is on bricks -- apparently it was too low for the cameraman or director.

You can see a bit of the fireplace in the first still below, which looks to be exquisite with some ornate detailing.


Despite what Veda thinks (because she's a spoiled jerk), I love the period details of this set.  The arched doorways are fab and even in black and white, you can see the textured walls.  I love the little arched niche by the front door.  Would you put anything there?  My grandmother used to have a table very much like the one Mildred is storing books on  by the doorway (see second and larger photo.) 


It is interesting that Veda is so embarrassed by this house, which today would be considered a fabulous, historical house.  Even in the thirties, which is when I believe the book took place, or 1945, when the film took place, this residence isn't shabby.  I would pack up and take it in a hot minute.

 







8 comments:

  1. I've always loved this house as well!

    Wonderful movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wonderful, isn't it? Still looks very much the same today and while the palm out front is still there, it's quite a bit bigger!

      Mildred Pierce is my favorite 1940s film. Just perfect in every way.

      Thanks for commenting, theoldhollywood garden (love your user name!)

      Delete
  2. I too would pack my stuff and be there in a minute! I loved the interior of this home...ahhhh. Wish these jewels were still being built and/or sold for a reasonable price.
    Joan Crawford is a favorite and Mildred Pierce is just one of her films I enjoy watching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JeeSun, if you have somewhere north of $700k, this little jewel could be yours in Glendale! Ridiculous how overpriced southern California real estate is.

      The interior is cozy and so homey. Just love it.

      Mildred Pierce is my favorite 1940s movie. I love all of Joan's movies - - if you haven't seen "Autumn Leaves," "Sudden Fear", "Harriet Craig" or "Possessed" (both the 30s and 40s films) I would highly recommend them.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
    2. Hmmm, maybe north of that, more like 1.5 Mil in 2017.

      Delete
    3. California real estate certainly is costly, isn't it?

      Delete
  3. The house is still there looking pretty much the same. I often take friends for a drive to the house to show them without disrupting the neighbors. The street appears to be much narrower in real life than it did in the film, and this is probably because of the lenses used to shoot the exterior scenes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing the information, cinemascoper!

      I hope to drive by myself next time I'm in Glendale.

      Delete